Dear friends, the Marathon lake is waiting for us to explore, in a day-trip full of nature's images and sounds. We will ride around the adventuring lake, with the lakeside forest route to absorb any anxiety or bad mood we may have. The lake is situated in a very short distance from Athens and is resting among the municipalities of Dionysos, Oropos, and Marathon. This artificial lake, of 2.450 acres, supplies the capital of Athens with drinking water since the construction of the dam in 1929. It is so exciting to have a unique experience of the lake's functionality. We stay astonished when we realize that it actually works as a water repository, filtering the water and deliver it fresh and cold to the Athenians citizens. The time of the lake's construction, the Marathon Dam was a major symbol of modernization for Athens. An interesting piece of information is the dam was found about 10 min drive from the location of the Marathon Battle, signifying magically the connection of the two basic moments of time: the active future with the lazy but so valuable past.
We are inviting you to be an adventurous cyclist who will not only ride his/her dream but also gain knowledge through experimental learning.
See you soon :-)
• 09.00 pm: Meet at our office, Kapnikareas & Κaligrioni, Plaka to fit our bikes, have an energy drink and ride to our transfer-car
• 09.30 pm: Departure to Marathon Lake.
• 10.30 pm: Start our ride through a provincial green forest road; arrive at the lake; have a short stop for taking photos and departing, following the lakeside route
• 11.30 pm: Arrival at the Agia Anna' church and have a rest for exploring the area and take some pictures
• 11.45 pm: - Departure to the dam and exploration of the lake’s unique beauty.
• 12.15 pm: Arrival at "Fragma" café overlooking the lake and rest for a coffee or drink and something delicious to taste
• 13.00 pm: Departure from "Fragma"
• 13.45 pm: Arrival at Aghios Stefanos and transfer with our company's car back to Plaka
Returning back to BIKE ME UP office in Plaka, we will enjoy Greek traditional sweets and a cold home-made "visinada" drink for farewell.
Our route starts at the center of Aghios Stephanos and reaches the lake with variations through a passable forest path, a lakeside route on rural dirt roads next to crops and passages crossing streams. Of great interest is the vegetation encountered with bushes, tall pine trees and shady plane trees as well as the unobstructed view to the lake and the green fields surrounding it. Shortly before the end of the trip, we relax enjoying a cCoffee or our refreshment at the garden of “fragma” café before we take the road back.